One of my very favorite treats. Soft chewy caramels.
These are so easy to make and your family will love them. So much tastier then store bought. This recipe is best done in this size batch- Doubling the recipe is not advised- just make a 2nd batch instead!
- Prepare an 8x8 baking dish. ( I lightly butter mine) You could also line the dish with foil.
- In a 2 quart (or larger) microwave-safe bowl combine all ingredients and stir. ( you can also do this on the stove if you prefer-Use a heavy pot)
- Place bowl in microwave and cook on high power for 2 minutes; stir.
- Microwave caramels for an additional 2 minutes and stir thoroughly once again.
- Finally, microwave for an additional 1-3 minutes,(time will depend on wattage of your microwave) and stir very well until smooth. The longer you cook the more firm your caramels will be.
- Pour caramel into the prepared baking dish and place in fridge until firm enough to cut (about an hour).
- Remove caramels from refrigerator. If caramels are too firm to cut, allow them to soften a bit at room temperature.
- Cut into desired size pieces
- Wrap caramels in wax paper or parchment paper, if soft, store in an airtight container in your refrigerator. Otherwise store in an airtight container on your countertop.