Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Featured Artist from Down Under Julie Kirk


 I'd like to share a Piece of Native American Style Work & the inspiration behind the bag with you all. This bag was made by Julie Kirk who resides in Victoria Australia. She used one of my Sioux star patterns to create the bead work and designed her bag around it.  In Julie's words here is a description Of how she created her beautiful bag. "I bought Elk hide scraps from a USA leather worker to make it more authentic. I wanted the bag to be made from leather that came from USA...
I cut the fringes with scissors, I also made the plaits (around loomed pattern.) out of strips that were cut from the hide scraps. I used Bone, coral, tree seeds and other things found by travelers who head off around Australia every year and, if they remember, they will pick up what things I make request of.
I reshaped the bone used where the pull strap is and the bone bead where both straps are held needed to be re-drilled to take such thickness." 
I think Julie has done a fabulous job putting her bag together and I really enjoy her personal flair that was added with her countries seeds, stones etc. Julie also added  her inspiration for making the bag. "I made the bag for a male who had bought the beads many years ago, he found he did not have the patience to loom or work with beads. He has a passion for the Sioux Indians, always wanting to own a bag/pouch of some kind. He, had had the beads for many many years giving them to me when he saw some of my beaded work. When I pulled away from the shop front (He and wife own a cafe-bakery I enjoy to eat at.) I decided to use his beads and make them into the purpose they were originally bought for."  

I think that was the sweetest thing for her to do! What an awesome lady. Thanks so much for sharing Julie!

4 comments:

Kristen said...

What a great feature! I love it when Heart goes into creating something it seems to mean so much more!

Lori said...

I agree Kristen. I am sure the recipient will enjoy that bag immensely.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I'm sure this will be a treasured piece. She did a beautiful job of showing off your Sioux Star, and I love all the bits she incorporated into it. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Beadwright said...

Wonderful piece Lori. I love this post.
Nicole/Beadwright